Mental health is a vital part of our lives, yet it is something that is often ignored until it becomes a problem. So, if you are feeling overwhelmed and don’t know where to turn, a mental health counselor may be the answer for you. Furthermore, in this resource guide, we will discuss the importance of mental health counseling and how to find a counselor near you.
Understanding Mental Health Counselor
Mental health counselors are professionals who help people deal with mental health issues. They provide counseling and therapy to individuals, couples, families, and groups. Moreover, mental health counselors can work in a variety of settings. That includes private practice, hospitals, schools, or government organizations.
Why You Need One
If you are struggling to cope with a recent event, life change, or any issue, a mental health counselor can help you develop healthy coping mechanisms. Moreover, counselors can also provide support if you are dealing with a chronic mental health condition.
Issues They Help With
Some common reasons people see mental health counselors include:
- Grief and loss
- Life transitions
- Parenting issues
- Substance abuse
- Eating disorders
- Anxiety disorders
- Marital problems
- Personality disorders
- Sexual abuse or assault
How They Help You
Mental health counselors can help you in several ways. For instance, they can provide:
- Problem-solving skills to deal with difficult situations
- Provide resources and referrals to other professionals
- Supportive listening and feedback for better mental health
- Counseling and therapy to aid/treat your mental health condition
- Education about mental health conditions to help manage symptoms
Types of Mental Health Counselors
There are a variety of mental health counselor specialties. However, some common types include:
- Clinical psychologists: Clinical psychologists diagnose and treat mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders. Moreover, they may also research human behavior and teach students in universities or medical schools.
- Counseling psychologists: Counseling psychologists help people deal with everyday problems and stresses. Moreover, they provide counseling and therapy, as well as consulting and training services.
- Addiction counselors: Addiction counselors help people with addiction problems and related issues. Moreover, they provide counseling and therapy, as well as education and prevention services.
- School psychologists: School psychologists work with students, parents, teachers, and school administrators to create a safe and healthy learning environment. Moreover, they assess the emotional and behavioral problems of students, provide counseling, and develop intervention programs.
Finding Mental Health Counselor Near You
If you are looking for a mental health counselor, there are a few things to consider. For instance:
Decide What You Want
First, you will need to decide what type of counseling you need. Since there are many different types of counseling meant to treat different issues. Such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, couples counseling, family therapy, and many more. Thus, each therapy is a bit nuanced in its approach. Thus, you need the find the right one based on the issue that you’re facing and your expectations from it. So, once you know what type of counseling you need, you can start searching for a counselor near you.
How To Decide It
When looking for a mental health counselor, it is important to find one that specializes in the type of therapy you need. For example, if you need help with anxiety, look for a counselor who specializes in cognitive-behavioral therapy or counseling.
NOTE: If you are not sure what type of therapy you need, ask your doctor for a referral.
How To Get Started
There are a few ways to find a mental health counselor. For instance:
- You can search online,
- Ask your doctor for a referral, or
- Check with your insurance company.
What To Look Out For
Before making an appointment with a mental health counselor, there are a few things you should consider. For instance:
- First, check to see if the counselor is licensed in your state. Moreover, you can do this by checking the website of the American Counseling Association.
- Second, make sure that the counselor has experience treating your specific issue. For example, if you are struggling with depression, make sure the counselor has experience treating depression.
- Third, ask about the counselor’s fees. Since some counselors charge by the session, while others charge by the month.
- Fourth, find out if the counselor accepts your insurance. Because, if not, you may have to pay for counseling out of pocket.
How To Book An Appointment
If you are interested in seeing a mental health counselor, the first step is to contact them and schedule an appointment. Generally, most counselors offer initial consultations. During which you can discuss your needs and goals. So, once you have found a counselor you feel comfortable with, schedule weekly or bi-weekly appointments. Eventually, it shall depend on your individual needs and preferences.
Meeting Our Therapists At Therapy Mantra
Therapy Mantra is proud to have a team of experienced and qualified therapists who are dedicated to helping you live your best life. Here we are listing two of our top therapists of this month based on their client uptake and general feedback. So feel free to schedule a free consultation today to meet with one of our therapists and see how we can help you!
Aheesha Chopra, Certified Psychologist
I am a certified psychologist who welcomes you to the path of healing. Well, I am trained in dealing with day-to-day stress, anger management, depression, self-doubts, marital issues, anxiety, OCD, and lack of confidence.
I believe that everyone is capable to fight with their circumstances it’s just that they need the right guidance to find the strength within them. So, here my role as a psychologist comes by helping you in making your disposition into a positive one.
Thus, by providing a non-judgmental environment and a safe space to my clients I began my journey of healing. With each passing session, I provide support to my clients and work to upgrade my strategy in achieving the expectations with which they have come.
- Completed Post Graduation in Clinical Psychology from Uttarakhand.
- Diploma holder in guidance and counseling from Jamia Millia University.
- Certified Life Coach accredited by the International Practitioners of Holistic Medicine.
- Diploma holder of Advance counseling skills from the International School of counseling and Holistic Studies.
Ankita Rathore, Counseling Psychologist, and Psychotherapist
I am a certified mental health therapist, who majorly deals with depression and anxiety. As a therapist, I believe we all are unique and have the power to heal within ourselves. However, when we face challenging situations we are surrounded by negative thoughts and we lose ourselves. Now here I try to provide guidance and insight so that people can become independent in coping with their concerns. This is how I help people towards a path of healing & recovery!
Her Approach And Credentials
I have completed my Bachelor’s in Psychology from Banasthali University, Jaipur. I went to further to pursue my Master’s in Psychology from the University of Delhi. In addition, I have completed training in Guidance and Counseling. Furthermore, I am an experienced CBT Practitioner and I follow a person-centered approach in my sessions.
NOTE: We invite you to list yourself on Therapy Mantra’s Therapist Directory.
Listing Top Mental Health Providers
Now that you know how to find a mental health counselor near you, we will share a list of the top providers in Asia, North America, South America, Europe, Africa, and Australia.
- India: Therapy Mantra, Mantra Care
- Japan: Japan Society of Counseling Psychology
- South Korea: Korean Association for Counseling and Development
In North America
- United States: American Counseling Association
- Canada: Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association
In South America
- Argentina: Asociación Argentina de Psicología Positiva
- Brazil: Associação Brasileira de Terapia Cognitivo-Comportamental
- Chile: Asociación Chilena de Terapia Cognitivo-conductual
- Austria: Österreichische Gesellschaft für Psychotherapie
- Belgium: Belgian Association for Cognitive and Behavioural Therapy
- Denmark: Dansk Psykoterapeutforening
- Finland: Suomen Kognitiivisen Psykoterapian Yhdistys
- France: Association Française de Thérapie Cognitivo-Comportementale
- Egypt: Egyptian Association for Cognitive and Behavioral Therapies
- Nigeria: Nigerian Association for Psychological Research
- South Africa: South African Psychological Association
- Australia: Australian Association for Cognitive and Behavioural Therapies
If you are struggling with a mental health issue, we hope this resource guide will help you find a mental health counselor near you. However, remember to consider the counselor’s fees, experience, and insurance before making an appointment. Moreover, we hope you find the help you need!
A Word From Therapy Mantra
Your mental health — Your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At TherapyMantra, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, workplace Issues, addiction, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.