Narcissistic rage is a term used to describe the explosive anger of a narcissist. This type of anger is very dangerous, and can be destructive to both the individual and those around them. In this blog post, we will discuss 10 signs that can help you spot narcissistic rage. If you are in a relationship with someone who displays these signs, it is important to get help before things spiral out of control.
- 1 What Is Narcissistic Rage?
- 2 10 Signs To Spot Narcissistic Rage
- 3 Consequences Of Narcissistic Rage
- 4 How To Protect Yourself From Narcissistic Rage?
- 5 Conclusion
- 6 A Word From Therapy Mantra
What Is Narcissistic Rage?
Narcissistic rage is a reaction to real or perceived abandonment or rejection. It is the narcissist’s way of defense mechanism. When they feel that their ego is threatened, they will lash out in order to regain control.
The rage can be verbal, physical, or emotional. It is often a reaction to feeling devalued or ignored. The narcissist may feel that they are not being given the attention they deserve. And will resort to whatever means necessary to regain control.
Actually, narcissistic rage is not always about control. It can also be about revenge. The narcissist may feel that they have been wronged. And, eventually will lash out in order to get back at the person they perceive as responsible.
Narcissistic rage is often irrational and explosive. It is important to remember that the narcissist is not acting from a place of logic or reason. Their ego has been bruised and they are responding from a place of hurt and pain.
10 Signs To Spot Narcissistic Rage
It is important to be able to spot the signs of narcissistic rage because it can be very dangerous. Here are 10 signs to identify it;
Easily angered and aggressive
If the person gets angry easily or is aggressive. It could be a sign that they are narcissistic. They might lash out at people for no reason or become violent. Narcissistic rage is often triggered by a perceived insult or threat.
These person with NPD feel that they are better than others and can’t stand being criticized. So, if someone say anything or try to change them. Then, they easily get angry and behaves aggressively.
Sensitive to criticism
If the person is extremely sensitive to criticism, it could be another sign of narcissism. They might react angrily or even violently to any criticism directed at them. Narcissistic rage is often their way of trying to control the situation and make the other person feel powerless.
More often, the criticism make them feel hurt and defensive. So, instead of taking it constructively, they would rather attack back to feel in control again. This behavior can be very destructive in both personal and professional relationships.
Another sign of narcissistic rage is seeking revenge. If the person is always trying to get back at someone. It could be because they feel like they have been wronged. They might hold grudges and try to make the other person feel bad.
Narcissistic people often take everything as a personal attack. So, when someone does something that they don’t like. They feel the need to get revenge. This can often lead to them behaving in an abusive or manipulative way. Without taking revenge, it is too hard for them to move on.
Narcissistic rage can also manifest as extreme jealousy. If the person is always worried about their partner cheating or being with someone else, it could be because they feel like they are not good enough.
They always compare themselves and their relationship to others. So, when they see their partner being with someone else, it makes them feel insecure and threatened. This can often lead to them behaving in a possessive or controlling way. It can also be dangerous if they become fixated on someone and start stalking them.
It is important to be aware of these signs. Narcissistic rage can be very destructive if gets avoided. Seek immediate help if you are struggling with it.
A superiority complex is another sign of narcissism. If the person feels like they are better than everyone else. Then, it largely cause them to be a narcissistic rage. It could be because they are trying to cover up their own insecurities.
This sign can be misinterpreted as confidence. But, it is actually a defense mechanism to protect themselves from feeling inferior. So, when someone criticizes them or try to change them. They get angry and lash out because it threatens their sense of self.
Lash out verbally or physically
Narcissistic rage personality will often lash out verbally or physically when they are feeling threatened. This is because they feel like they need to assert their power and control over the situation.
Lashing out verbally and physically is a sign that the person is not in control of their emotions. It could include things like breaking things, hitting people or animals. Or even these narcissistic never afraid of being hitting back. Because, to them, it is just a way to show that they are in charge.
Tries to destroy relationships
If the person tries to destroy relationships, it could be another sign of narcissistic rage. They might try to sabotage a relationship or spread rumors about someone. This is because they feel threatened by the other person’s success or happiness.
Making relationships is not actually something that narcissists are interested in. So, when they see someone else happy in a relationship. It makes them feel jealous and angry. This is because they feel like they are not the center of attention anymore. Consequently, they would rather try to destroy the relationship.
Making others feel guilty
Another common sign of their rage is making others feel guilty. If the person tries to make you feel bad for something you didn’t do, it could be because they are trying to control you.
They do bad things and then make others feel guilty for it. This is a way to manipulate the situation and make themselves look better. It is also a way to get what they want from you. So, it is important to be aware of it and set boundaries.
Narcissistic rage can also manifest as creating drama. If the person is always starting arguments or stirring up trouble, it could be because they need the attention. They might also do this to make themselves feel more important.
Creating drama is considered as a way to get attention. It is also a way to control the situation and make others feel off balance. More often, it is their hobby. So, if you are constantly being drawn into arguments or drama. Take a step back and assess the situation.
Behave erratic and unpredictable
The person with narcissistic rage may also become erratic and unpredictable in their behavior. This is because they are trying to control the situation. And make the other person feel powerless. Narcissists are always seeking power over others. They couldn’t deal if they feel like they are losing control.
If you see any of these signs in someone. It is important to be cautious around them. Narcissistic rage can be very dangerous. And it is important to be able to identify it.
Consequences Of Narcissistic Rage
The price for narcissistic rage have to be paid by others. They are typically oblivious to the destruction they leave in their wake. The aftermath of narcissistic rage can include:
- Loss of job – If their behavior at work is the result of rage by narcissism. They may lose their job. This can trigger a whole new level of narcissistic injury. And lead to an even greater sense of entitlement and grandiosity.
- Loss of friends/family – If you’re on the receiving end of rage, you may find yourself cut off from family or friends. The narcissist will often go to great lengths to isolate you from your support system.
- Destruction of property – In some cases, the rage of narcissism can lead to destruction of property. This can be either accidental (e.g., throwing something in anger) or deliberate (e.g., vandalizing your car).
- Violence – In extreme cases, narcissistic rage can escalate to violence. This is usually a last resort for the narcissist, who feels they have nothing left to lose.
- Legal trouble – If the narcissist’s rage results in any of the above, they may also find themselves in legal trouble. This can further jeopardize their job, family, and social relationships.
If you find yourself the target of narcissistic rage. It’s important to get away from the situation as quickly as possible. This is not always easy, but it’s necessary for your safety. You may also want to consider seeking professional help to deal with the narcissistic rage.
How To Protect Yourself From Narcissistic Rage?
The rage by narcissistic is a reaction to real or perceived abandonment or rejection. Narcissists are extremely sensitive to any sort of criticism or slight. When they feel threatened, their first instinct is often to lash out and attack.
When you identify the signs of narcissistic rage. It become easy to protect yourself from a narcissist’s rage. Here are some tips to protect yourself from narcissistic rage.
Tips To Protect Yourself From Narcissistic Rage
- Keep your cool: It is important to remain calm when a narcissist is trying to provoke you. Getting angry will only give them the satisfaction they are looking for. In fact, it can even make them escalate their behavior.
- Set boundaries: It is important to set boundaries with narcissists. Make it clear what you will and will not tolerate from them. Once you have set these boundaries, stick to them.
- Avoid being alone with them: If possible, try to avoid being alone with a narcissist. This will help to prevent any sort of confrontation from happening.
- Know your rights: It is important to know your rights when dealing with a narcissist. This way, you can protect yourself from their abuse and manipulation.
- Document everything: Keep a record of all the times a narcissist has lashed out at you or others. This documentation can be helpful if you ever need to take legal action against them.
- Seek professional help: If you are constantly being subjected to narcissism, it may be time to seek professional help. A therapist can help you deal with the effects of this type of abuse.
Conclusively, narcissistic is real. And their rage is dangerous emotional condition. If you think you or someone you know may be suffering from it. Please reach out to a mental health professional for help.
Remember, narcissistic rage is often triggered by a perceived threat to the narcissist’s ego. So, if you can learn to defuse these situations and avoid getting caught in the crossfire. You’ll be doing everyone a favor.
A Word From Therapy Mantra
Your mental health — Your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At TherapyMantra, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, workplace Issues, addiction, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.
Reference Blog– https://therapymantra.co/therapy-types/equine-therapy/