Narcissistic injury is a term used in psychology to describe the feeling of devaluation and humiliation that occurs when someone’s ego is damaged. This can be caused by something as simple as being ignored or overlooked, or something more serious like being criticized or rejected. If you have ever been in a situation where you felt like you were not good enough, then you have experienced narcissistic injury. In this blog post, we will discuss what narcissistic injury is and how to deal with it.
What Narcissistic Injury Is?
Narcissistic injury occurs when the narcissist feels that they have been rejected. Or misunderstood, unappreciated. It happens when the narcissist feels left. They are not getting the attention or admiration what they deserve.
The narcissistic injury can cause with so many reasons. The narcissist can take it very personally and react in a variety of ways. This injury might be caused by their partner, friends, or family members. It can also be caused by co-workers, or even complete strangers.
Narcissism injury will usually cause the narcissist to feel angry, hurt, and defensive. They might become withdrawn. And start to distance themselves from the people who they think have rejected them. In some cases, the narcissist might even lash out. And try to hurt the people who they think have injured them.
Signs Of Narcissistic Injury
There are a few signs that may help you identify. If you are experiencing a narcissistic injury. These include feeling:
- Unworthy or inferior to others
- Excessively jealous or envious of others
- Unable to handle criticism
- Extremely sensitive to any slights or perceived slights
If you find yourself exhibiting these symptoms. It is important to seek professional help in order to deal with the underlying issues causing the narcissistic injury.
Working through a narcissistic injury can be difficult and painful. But it is possible with the help of a therapist. The professional can guide you in exploring the root cause of the wound. And help you develop healthy coping mechanisms.
What Causes Narcissistic Injury?
Causes of narcissistic injury are varied. It includes real or perceived slights, criticisms, boundaries being set, and failures. Such causes are;
- Not being given enough attention – The injury can be caused by a feeling of not being given enough attention. This might be in the form of not getting enough likes on a social media post, or not receiving compliments from others.
- Being ignored – Another cause of narcissistic injury is when someone feels ignored. This might happen if you don’t respond to a text message quickly enough. Or if you cancel plans with someone at the last minute.
- Being criticized – Criticism can also lead to narcissistic injury. This might be in the form of constructive feedback at work. Even just a friend pointing out something that you did wrong.
- Boundaries disrespected – Finally, narcissistic injury can occur when boundaries are disrespected. This might be if someone doesn’t listen to your personal space needs. Or if they share something about you that you didn’t want them to.
- Unrealistic parental expectations – Just because you’re an adult now, doesn’t mean your parents’ expectations of you have changed. If anything, they might be higher than ever before. And that can lead to a lot of disappointment and resentment if you don’t meet them.
There are some studies that suggests that there is a correlation between narcissistic injury and domestic violence. If you have ever been the victim of domestic violence. It is important to seek help from a professional.
According to the recent research, the most common narcissistic injury is not being given enough attention. So, if you feel like you’re not getting the attention you deserve, you’re not alone.
How To Protect From Narcissistic Injury?
It is essential to understand about narcissistic injury. If you are in a relationship with a narcissist. This type of injury occurs when the narcissist feels that their ego has been bruised. Or their true self-worth has been threatened.
In order to protect yourself from this type of injury. It is important to be aware of the signs and symptoms. And, here are tips to protect yourself. Such as;
Change Your Mindset
The first step is to change your mindset. When you are in a relationship with a narcissist. You need to think about what you can do to protect yourself. Instead of thinking about what the narcissist can do for you.
So, the first step is to change your mindset and think about what you can do to protect yourself.
The second step is to be assertive. If you are in a relationship with a narcissist. It is important to be assertive and set boundaries. You need to make it clear what you will and will not tolerate from them.
If the narcissist tries to cross your boundaries, then you need to enforce them. This will help to protect yourself from narcissistic injury.
Build A Support Network
The third step is to build a support network of family and friends who can support you. If you are in a relationship with a narcissist, it is important to have a support network. This will help you to protect yourself from narcissistic injury.
It is important to understand about narcissistic injury. And, if you are in a relationship with narcissist. Building a support network for yourself is necessary. In order to avoid further serious consequences.
Know Your Worth
Another way to protect yourself from narcissistic injury is to know your worth. It is important to remember that you are not responsible for the happiness of the narcissist And, that you are not responsible for their ego.
Learn De-Escalation Strategies
If you find yourself in a situation where the narcissist is trying to hurt you. It is important to know some de-escalation strategies. This will help you to protect yourself from narcissistic injury. Some de-escalation strategies include;
- Staying calm is the best way to de-escalate a situation. Try to avoid getting defensive or attacking the narcissist.
- Try to use “I” statements when you are communicating with the narcissist. For example, “I feel disrespected when you speak to me in that tone of voice.”
- Try to empathize with the narcissist and understand their perspective. This will help to de-escalate the situation.
- Also, it is essential to respect their personal space. And, try not to get too close to them when you are talking.
By understanding about narcissistic injury. And knowing some de-escalation strategies. You can protect yourself from this type of injury. And, avoid further serious consequences.
Self Care Techniques
The final step is to practice self-care techniques. This will help you to protect yourself from narcissistic injury. And, it will also help you to cope with the stress of being in a relationship with a narcissist.
Some self-care techniques include;
- Exercise: Exercise is a great way to release tension and stress. It can also help to boost your mood and energy levels.
- Relaxation techniques: Relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation, and deep breathing can help to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Journaling: Journaling can be a helpful way to process your thoughts and emotions. It can also help you to develop a healthy coping mechanism for dealing with the stresses of being in a relationship with a narcissist.
By practicing self-care techniques. You can protect yourself from narcissistic injury. And, you can also cope with the stress of being in a relationship with a narcissist.
If you are in a relationship with a narcissist. It is important to understand about narcissistic injury. And, how to deal with it. By following the steps above. You can protect yourself from this type of injury. And, you can also cope with the stress of being in a relationship with a narcissist.
Narcissistic injury can be difficult to deal with but by taking the necessary steps. You can protect yourself and avoid further serious consequences. If you are currently in a relationship with narcissist, remember to put yourself first. Take care of yourself.
A Word From Therapy Mantra
Your mental health — Your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At TherapyMantra, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, workplace Issues, addiction, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.
Reference Blog– https://therapymantra.co/therapy-types/equine-therapy/