Is communal narcissism on the rise? Some would say yes, and there’s evidence to back it up. With social media giving us all a platform to share our thoughts and experiences, we’re all becoming increasingly self-obsessed. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it does have its downsides. In this blog post, we’ll explore what communal narcissism is, and discuss the pros and cons of this growing trend.
What Is Communal Narcissism?
Communal narcissism is a term that was coined by psychologists in the early 2000s. As we know narcissistic personality is a spectrum, and communal narcissism is at the far end of that spectrum. It refers to people who exaggerate their communal skills and achievements, and have a strong need for admiration and validation from others.
They assume themselves to be the best listeners, the best friends, and the most valuable members of any group or community. People with communal narcissism consider themselves to have extraordinary skills and potential to “help” or “save” others. They want to be seen as most trustworthy and reliable, and will often go to great lengths to prove it.
While there’s nothing wrong with wanting to be seen as a valuable member of your community, the problem arises when you start to believe that you are the only one who can truly help or make a difference. This belief leads to a sense of entitlement, and an inflated sense of self-importance. It can also lead to a sense of superiority, and a lack of empathy for others.
How To Spot Communal Narcissism?
There are a few key signs that you can look out for if you suspect that your community may be suffering from communal narcissism. Some of them are:
- Extroverted personality: they are the life and soul of any group, and they love being the center of attention. They want to be seen as a helpful and reliable being by others.
- Imposters syndrome: They often do things for others, not because they genuinely care, but because they want to be seen as selfless and kind. They feel like they have to put on a persona or mask to fit in with their community. They are afraid of being exposed as a fraud, and so they overcompensate by trying to be perfect.
- Sympathy gainers: They love to play the victim, and will often use their experiences to gain sympathy from others.
- Portray themselves as martyrs of the community: They see themselves as the unsung heroes, who are always doing the most for their community.
- A focus on image: They are always looking for ways to get their name out there, and they love the attention that comes with it. They do most of their good deeds in public. There is a strong focus on image and appearances.
- A need for control: There is a need for control and power. This can be seen in the way that decisions are made, the way that people interact with each other, and the way that conflict is handled.
- An obsession with success: There is an obsession with success. This can be seen in the way that people talk about their accomplishments, the way that they compare themselves to others, and the way that they strive to be the best
It’s important to remember that not all of these traits are necessarily bad. Some of them, such as being extroverted or wanting to help others, are actually quite positive. The key is to be aware of the potential downsides of communal narcissism and to make sure that it doesn’t start to impact your community in a negative way.
The Pros of Communal Narcissism
Communal narcissists are imposters who don’t help with the intention of helping others but with the intention of making the name and image of being good, helpful, kind ad reliable person. However, it still leads to good in community like:
- They help to make the community more cohesive: By always being at the forefront of any community activity, they help to bring people together and create a sense of unity.
- They can be motivating factors: Their need for admiration and validation from others can be a motivating factor for other members of the community. They set the standard of acceptable behavior in society.
- They help to create a positive image of the community: Their public persona often reflects positively on the community as a whole. This can be helpful in attracting new members and maintaining a positive reputation.
- They accomplish tasks: Due to their need to be seen as competent and capable, they are often the ones who get things done. This is helpful in ensuring the completion of task.
- They make Charitable donations: Their desire to be seen as generous and charitable often leads them to make sizable donations to causes that they care about. This can be extremely helpful in supporting important causes.
Whatever be in their heart, their actions do help create a better society and help with charitable causes.
The Cons of Communal Narcissism
While communal narcissism can have some positive effects on a community, it can also have some negative ones. Some of the potential downsides are:
- They can be manipulative: Their need for control and power can lead them to manipulate others in order to get what they want. This can create a toxic environment and destroy relationships.
- They can be exclusive: Their need to feel special often leads them to create an exclusive group that only includes those who meet their standards. This can alienate others and damage the community as a whole.
- They can be destructive: Their need for attention and admiration can lead them to engage in risky or destructive behavior. This can be harmful to both themselves and others.
- They can be abusive: Their need for power and control can lead them to be emotionally or physically abusive. This is the most damaging aspect of communal narcissism, as it can destroy lives.
- They can feel entitled: They feel as if society owes them them because of they for the enhancement of community. This can lead to resentment and conflict.
While communal narcissism might have some positive effects, the potential negatives should not be ignored. It’s important to be aware of the potential downsides and to make sure that it doesn’t start to impact your community in a negative way.
there have been countless factors that contributed to the rise of narcissism, especially communal narcissism. Some of these factors are:
- The self-esteem movement: The self-esteem movement, which began in the 1970s, has been a major contributing factor. This movement encouraged people to think highly of themselves and to always put their own needs first.
- The rise of social media: Social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram have also contributed to narcissism. These platforms allow people to share every aspect of their lives with the world. provide a constant stream of validation and admiration that can be extremely addictive.
- The culture of celebrity: Seeing images of perfection in our celebrity-obsessed culture, can lead to feelings of inadequacy and a desire to achieve the same level of success and fame.
- The increase in materialism: As our society has become more materialistic, people have become more focused on acquiring wealth and possessions. This can lead to a sense of entitlement and a desire to be the best.
All of these factors have contributed to the rise of narcissism, especially communal narcissism. It’s important to be aware of these factors so that you can be on the lookout for it.
How To Deal With It?
some ways to deal with communal individually or in a group setting are:
- Confront them: This can be difficult, but it is important to confront them about their behavior. This will help to make them aware of the impact that their behavior is having on others.
- Report them: If you feel like you are in danger, or if they are engaging in illegal behavior, it is important to report them to the authorities.
- Have open discussions: This can be a difficult conversation, but It is important to have open and honest discussions about the behavior that is causing problems. This will help to raise awareness and allow everyone to share their thoughts and feelings.
- Establish rules and boundaries: It is important to establish rules and boundaries that everyone must follow. This will help to protect everyone from the manipulative and abusive behavior of narcissists.
- Remove them from positions of power: If someone in a position of power is behaving narcissistically, it is important to remove them from that position. This will help to protect others from their abuse of power.
- Talk to the leader: This is a good place to start. The leader of the group may not be aware of the narcissistic behavior of its members. By bringing it to their attention, they may be able to take steps to address it.
- Leave the group: If they are constantly drawing you into their drama, Try to ignore them as much as you can or it may be best to just leave the group. This can be difficult, but it is sometimes necessary.
Narcissism, whether it be individual or communal, can be damaging. It is important to be aware of the potential negatives and to take steps to protect yourself and your community.
If you think that you or someone you know may be suffering from communal narcissism, there are a few things that you can do.
- Talk to a professional: A professional can help to assess the situation and determine if there is a problem. They can also provide guidance on how to deal with it.
- Join a support group: There are many support groups available that can offer advice and support. This can be a great way to share your experiences and learn from others.
- Get therapy: If the problem is impacting your life in a negative way, you may want to consider getting therapy. This can help you to deal with the underlying issues and make positive changes in your life.
Communal narcissism can be a difficult problem to deal with. However, there are ways to deal with it. If you think that you or someone you know may be suffering from communal narcissism, Remember, you are not alone. There are many people who can offer support and guidance.
Communal narcissism is a lesser-known form or spectrum of narcissism but it is just as dangerous for us and our community. It’s often hard to spot because it can look like healthy community involvement at first. However, over time the cracks begin to show. The narcissistic individual or group will start to manipulate and control others for their own benefit.
There is support available to help you deal with this problem. You are not alone. ovewrcomi9ng narcissism can be difficult but it is possible. With help, you can make positive changes in your life and in your community.
You can seek professional help from mantra care. For more information and tips you can contact Therapy Mantra. We have a team of professional therapists who can provide you with the support and guidance you need to recover from this condition. Contact us today to learn more about our services. You can also book an online therapy session or download our free Android or iOS app.