There are few things as complicated as human relationships. In any given relationship, there are three people involved: the person who is in love with two people, the person who is loved by two people, and the person who is left out. This is known as a relationship triangle. These dynamics can be incredibly complex and confusing. In this blog post, we will explore the different types of love triangles and discuss the dynamics of each one.
What Is A Relationship Triangle?
A relationship triangle is a situation in which three people are involved in a romantic or sexual relationship with each other. There are many different types of relationship triangles, but they all have one thing in common: there is always someone who feels left out.
Types Of Relationship Triangles
There are many different types of relationship triangles. Here are some of the most common ones:
- The person who is in love with two people: This type of triangle usually happens when one person is dating or married to two people at the same time. This can be incredibly confusing and difficult to navigate.
- The person who is loved by two people: This type of triangle happens when two people are in love with the same person. The third person may feel left out and jealous, but they may also enjoy being the center of attention.
- The person who is left out: This type of triangle happens when one person is in love with two people, who are further in love with each other. The third person may feel lonely and rejected, but they may also enjoy being the one who is not in a relationship.
- The person who is in love with two people and the third person is in love with one of them: This type of triangle happens when one person is in love with two people and the third person is in love with one of them. The third person may feel left out and jealous, but they may also enjoy being the one who is not in a relationship.
These are just some of the most common types of relationship triangles. Many other variations can occur, depending on the specific dynamics of the three people involved.
Common Doubts About Relationship Triangles
Love triangles can be complex and difficult to navigate, but they are not necessarily bad.
If you find yourself in a relationship triangle, you may have some doubts about the situation. Here are some common questions that people ask:
- Is it wrong to be in a relationship triangle?
No, there is nothing inherently wrong with being in a relationship triangle. These types of situations can be difficult to navigate, but they are not necessarily bad.
- Are relationship triangles exclusive to heterosexuals?
People with any sexual or gender identity can practice being in a relationship triangle.
- Can a relationship triangle work out?
It depends on the specific situation. Some love triangles end up working out, while others do not. It is important to communicate openly and honestly with all parties involved to try to make it work.
- What if I am the one who is left out?
Loneliness, jealousy, or rejection are common for those who get left out. However, it is important to remember that you are not alone. These types of situations are quite common.
- Can relationship triangles be a form of ethical non-monogamy?
With honest and transparent communication and consent from all the parties, relationship triangles can be considered an expression of ethical non-monogamy.
- Is it still a relationship triangle if one partner is unaware of their counterpart getting involved with a third person?
NO. It is very crucial to know the clear difference between the informed and consensual involvement of a third partner and infidelity, commonly known as cheating.
Tips To Manage A Relationship Triangle
When you find yourself in a relationship triangle, it is important to remember that you are not alone. These types of situations are quite common. Here are some tips to help you further manage a relationship triangle:
- Try to communicate openly and honestly with all parties involved. This can be difficult, but it is essential in managing a relationship triangle.
- Be aware of your feelings and emotions. It is easy to get involved in the drama of a relationship triangle. But it is important to remember that your feelings matter too.
- Respect the boundaries of each person involved. A love triangle is very emotionally taxing. It is important to respect the fact that three separate people co-exist in a single dynamic.
- Seek professional help. Individual/couple counseling can provide a clear and honest reflection on your feelings and moreover enhance problem-solving skills.
No matter what type of relationship triangle you find yourself in, it is important to remember that you are not alone. These situations are often confusing and frustrating, but there are ways to manage them. If you are struggling to deal with a love triangle, talk to a trusted person, or seek out professional help. With the right support, you can further navigate this complicated situation and come out the other side. Thanks for reading!
A Word From Therapy Mantra
Your mental health — Your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At TherapyMantra, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, workplace Issues, addiction, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.