Do you know someone who just can’t stand it when others are happy? Maybe they’re always putting others down, or maybe they just seem to go out of their way to ruin everyone’s good time. Chances are, you’re dealing with a narcissist. In this blog post, we will explore why narcissists hate happy people and what you can do to deal with their narcissistic rage.
- 1 Explaining Why Narcissists Hate Happy
- 2 Dealing With Narcissistic Rage
- 3 Talking To a Professional
- 4 Conclusion
- 5 A Word From Therapy Mantra
Explaining Why Narcissists Hate Happy
There are a few reasons why narcissists hate happy people.
- First of all, they see happiness as a sign of weakness. They believe that if someone is truly happy and content with their life, then they must not be very successful or powerful.
- Secondly, narcissists feel threatened by happy people. They see them as a direct challenge to their status and power. Narcissists are used to being the center of attention and they can’t stand the idea of someone happy without them.
- Thirdly, narcissists hate happy people because it makes them feel inferior. They can’t stand the sight of someone being genuinely content and fulfilled without them. Narcissists often go out of their way to ruin other people’s good times.
How They React To It
When a narcissist sees someone who is happy, they will usually react with anger or jealousy. They may try to bring that person down by putting them down, or they may try to sabotage their happiness in some way.
If you are dealing with a narcissist, it is important to be prepared for their reaction. You should know how to handle their narcissistic rage and how to defuse the situation.
Why Happy People Attract Narcissists
One of the main reasons why happy people attract narcissists is because they are a direct challenge to their status and power. Narcissists are used to being the center of attention and they can’t stand the idea of someone happy without them.
Another reason why happy people attract narcissists is that they represent everything that a narcissist is not. Narcissists are unhappy, insecure, and jealous people. Seeing someone who is genuinely content and fulfilled without them only makes their feelings of inferiority that much worse.
If you are a happy person, it is important to be aware of the fact that you may be attracting narcissists into your life. While there is nothing wrong with being happy, you should be prepared to deal with the narcissistic rage that comes along with it.
Dealing With Narcissistic Rage
If you’re dealing with a narcissist, it’s important to know how to deal with their narcissistic rage.
- First of all, stay calm and don’t react. Narcissists love drama and they will feed off of your emotion. If you react, they will only get more aggressive.
- Second of all, try to de-escalate the situation. If you can get the narcissist to calm down, they will be less likely to lash out at you.
- Thirdly, use power phrases. Power phrases are short, concise statements that will get your point across without provoking the narcissist.
- Fourthly, try to be tactful. Be careful not to say anything that could be seen as a challenge or a threat.
- Finally, if all else fails, walk away. Narcissists are very good at manipulating and controlling others, but they can’t do that if you’re not around.
When dealing with a narcissist, it is important to use power phrases. Power phrases are short, concise statements that assert your power and authority. They are designed to defuse the situation and take the wind out of the narcissist’s sails.
Here are some examples of power phrases you can use when dealing with a narcissist:
- “I’m sorry you feel that way.”
- “I understand how you feel.”
- “I’m not sure what you want me to do.”
- “Let me see if I can help you with that.”
Their Effect On Narcissists
When used correctly, power phrases can be very effective in dealing with a narcissist.
- First of all, they show that you’re not going to be drawn into their drama. You’re not going to react to their provocations or get emotional.
- Second of all, they let the narcissist know that you’re not going to be pushed around. You’re not going to do what they want you to do just because they’re demanding it.
- Third of all, power phrases let the narcissist know that you’re not going to be intimidated. You’re not going to be scared off by their threats or their aggression.
- Fourth of all, power phrases give you the upper hand in the conversation. The narcissist will feel like they’re losing control and they’ll be less likely to act out.
- Finally, power phrases show the narcissist that you’re not going to tolerate their behavior. You’re not going to put up with their abuse or their manipulation.
Here are some examples of tactful strategies you can use when dealing with a narcissist:
- Offer them a compliment. Narcissists love compliments and they’ll be more likely to listen to you if you give them one.
- Appeal to their ego. Narcissists are all about their ego, so if you can appeal to that, they’ll be more likely to listen to you.
- Agree with them. This doesn’t mean that you have to agree with everything they say. But agreeing with them on some things will make them more likely to listen to you.
- Make them feel important. Narcissists need to feel like they’re the most important person in the room. If you can make them feel that way, they’ll be more likely to listen to you.
- Use flattery. A little bit of flattery can go a long way with a narcissist. They’ll be more likely to listen to you if they think you’re trying to impress them.
What To Keep In Mind
When using any of these strategies, it’s important to keep in mind that you’re dealing with a narcissist.
- This means that you need to be careful not to come across as weak or submissive.
- You also need to be careful not to give the narcissist what they want. If you do, they’ll just take advantage of you.
- And finally, you need to be prepared for the possibility that none of these strategies will work. Narcissists are very difficult to deal with and sometimes the best thing you can do is just walk away.
Talking To a Professional
If you’re struggling to deal with a narcissist, it’s important to talk to a professional. They can help you understand the situation and give you the tools you need to deal with it.
When Consider Professional Help
- Find yourself constantly walking on eggshells around the narcissist, it’s time to seek professional help.
- The narcissist is starting to impact your mental health, it’s time to seek professional help.
- Struggling to deal with the narcissist on your own, it’s time to seek professional help.
Therapies That Can Help
Many different therapies can help you deal with a narcissist.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) can help you learn how to deal with the narcissist more effectively.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) can help you manage your emotions and stay in control when dealing with a narcissist.
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) can help you accept the situation and move on with your life.
Skills You’ll Gain
There are many different skills you can gain when dealing with a narcissist. You’ll learn how to:
- manage your emotions.
- set boundaries and stick to them.
- communicate effectively with them.
- deal with their manipulation and abuse.
Narcissists hate happiness because it shows them everything they’re not. It’s a constant reminder of how unhappy they are and how much they lack. Narcissists will do everything they can to bring you down to their level of misery.
But you don’t have to let them. You can rise above their hatred and show them that happiness is possible. “Haters gonna hate, but winners gonna win.” So don’t let the narcissist bring you down. Be the winner. Let your happiness shine.
Seek professional help if you’re struggling to deal with the narcissist on your own. With the right support, you can get through this. You can find happiness again.
A Word From Therapy Mantra
Your mental health — Your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At TherapyMantra, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, workplace Issues, addiction, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.