Do you ever wonder why you do the things you do? Why do you like certain things and dislike others? It’s because of evolutionary psychology. Evolutionary psychology is the study of how our brains influence our behavior. It looks at how we evolved to behave in certain ways, and how that affects the decisions we make today. In this blog post, we will discuss some of the findings from evolutionary psychology research, and how they can help us understand ourselves better!
What Is Evolutionary Psychology
In the evolutionary approach, our ancestors confront different problems and find solutions to those problems. The behavior that helps our ancestors survive and reproduce is passed down from generation to generation in the form of genes.
However, the evolutionary approach is one of the most popular approaches in psychology today. It is a way of understanding human behavior by looking at how it might have evolved to help our ancestors survive and reproduce. This approach looks at the whole person, including their physical and psychological characteristics.
The evolutionary approach has three main parts:
- The first part looks at how our ancestors solved problems.
- The second part looks at how these solutions might have been passed down to us in the form of genes.
- The third part looks at how these solutions might have influenced our behavior today.
The evolutionary approach is different from the behavioral approach. The behavioral approach looks at how we learn behaviors, while the evolutionary approach looks at how these behaviors might have evolved.
Evolutionary Psychology Goals
The goals of evolutionary psychology are to identify and explain the psychological adaptations that humans have. And to understand the evolutionary history of these adaptations, and to investigate how these adaptations shape current behavior.
There are 3 main goals of evolutionary psychology:
Understanding of Human Behavior
The first goal of evolutionary psychology is to understand human behavior. Evolutionary psychology seeks to identify the psychological adaptations that humans have, and to figure out how these adaptations shape our behavior.
People Behave the Way They Do
The second goal of evolutionary psychology is to explain why people behave the way they do. Evolutionary psychology tries to find out how our psychological adaptations influence our behavior.
How People’s Behavior Changed
The third goal of evolutionary psychology is to find out how people’s behavior has changed over time. However the evolutionary psychology wants to know how our psychological adaptations have changed throughout history and how they are affecting our behavior today.
How Does Evolutionary Psychology Work?
Evolutionary psychologists use a variety of methods to investigate how psychological adaptations shape current behavior. These methods include:
Researching the Fossil Record
One way that evolutionary psychologists investigate how psychological adaptations shape current behavior is by researching the fossil record. By looking at fossils, evolutionary psychologists can see how human behavior has changed over time.
Studying Animal Behavior
Another way that evolutionary psychologists investigate how psychological adaptations shape current behavior is by studying animal behavior. However, animal behavior can provide insights into human behavior because animals and humans share many of the same psychological adaptations.
Studying Human Behavior
The most common way that evolutionary psychologists investigate how psychological adaptations shape current behavior is by studying human behavior. By studying humans, psychologists can see how different environments and cultures have influenced our psychology.
Principles of Evolutionary Psychology
It has a fundamental foundation in Darwin’s theory of natural selection. However the study of how human behavior evolved is looks at how our genes and brain shape our behavior.
There are three key principles of evolutionary psychology:
- The first principle is that the brain is a physical organ, and as such, it is shaped by evolution.
- The second principle is that the brain is modular, which means that it consists of different specialized modules or systems.
- The third principle is that the mind is an adaptation, which means that it evolved to solve problems faced by our ancestors.
Evolutionary psychologists use these three principles to explain human behavior. For example, they might argue that men have attracted to women with hourglass figures because this type of figure is an indicator of health and fertility.
Evolutionary psychology has been criticized for being sexist and reductionist. However, it remains one of the most popular approaches to the study of human behavior.
Difference between Evolutionary Psychology and Moral Psychology
- The main difference between evolutionary psychology and moral psychology is that evolutionary psychology studies the psychological adaptations that have evolved to solve recurrent problems in human behavior, while moral psychology studies the psychological basis of morality.
- Evolutionary psychologists argue that many of our most common behaviors and emotions are a result of adaptations that have evolved to solve recurrent problems in human behavior. For example, evolutionary psychologists might argue that jealousy is an adaptation that has evolved to protect our relationships and resources.
- Moral psychologists, on the other hand, study the psychological basis of morality. They ask questions such as: What motivates people to be moral? What are the cognitive processes involved in making moral judgments? How do children learn about morality?
- Evolutionary psychology has been criticized for being reductionist, in that it reduces complex behaviors to evolutionary adaptations. Some people argue that evolutionary psychologists oversimplify human behavior and ignore the role of culture in shaping our behavior.
- On the other hand, moral psychology has also been criticized for being too theoretical. Critics argue that moral psychologists have not provided enough evidence to support their theories about the psychological basis of morality.
- Despite these concerns, evolutionary psychology and moral psychology are two important disciplines that may provide us with a lot of information about human behavior. Evolutionary psychologists might assist us in comprehending why we act the way we do, while moral psychologists may assist us in comprehending why we think the way we do. They give a comprehensive view of the psychological underpinnings behind our actions.
- In a nutshell, evolutionary psychology focuses on how psychological adaptations evolved, whereas moral psychology is concerned with how people think about right and wrong. However, there is some overlap between these disciplines, and many evolutionary psychologists are also concerned with ethics.
In conclusion, evolutionary psychology is a field of study that looks at how our brains influence our behavior. Most importantly it can help us to better understand why we do the things we do, and it can also provide us with insight into how we can improve our lives. It is a valuable approach for understanding ourselves and the world around us, despite the fact that it is not without its critics. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.
A Word From Therapy Mantra
Your mental health — Your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At TherapyMantra, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, workplace Issues, addiction, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.