Do you know what emotional vampires are? They are people who suck the life out of you. They can be draining, and they can leave you feeling exhausted and unhappy. In this blog post, we will discuss the top five emotional vampires to watch out for. These are people who tend to drain your energy and make you feel bad about yourself. If you want to protect yourself from these harmful individuals, read on!
Who Are Emotional Vampires?
Emotional vampires are people who tend to drain you emotionally. They are usually negative and pessimistic, and they may try to control or manipulate you. They can be family members, friends, co-workers, or even strangers.
These vampires usually have low self-esteem and are unhappy with their lives. They may be jealous of you or feel threatened by you. They may also be bored or lonely, and they see you as a source of entertainment or attention.
Additionally, emotional vampires maybe people who are going through a difficult time in their lives. They may be dealing with a major loss, such as the death of a loved one, or they may be going through a divorce.
These vampires can be very draining and stressful to deal with. It’s important to be aware of them and to know how to protect yourself from them.
Types Of Emotional Vampires
There are mainly five types of emotional vampires that you need to be wary of:
Narcissistic Emotional Vampires
These are the people who always need to be the center of attention. They are self-absorbed and think that the world revolves around them. They are also very manipulative and can easily take advantage of you. Narcissism also includes a sense of entitlement and a lack of empathy.
In fact, narcissism is relatable to sociopathy. As they both share a lack of empathy. Also, narcissism considers as a Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Therefore, if you know anyone who is diagnosed with this disorder, it’s best to keep your distance.
To identify these emotional vampires, some of the signs are;
- They love to talk about themselves,
- Always need validation,
- Are very jealous,
- Always fishing for compliments.
Machiavellian Emotional Vampires
These types of emotional vampires are cold, calculating, and manipulative. They are experts in manipulation and can easily take advantage of you. They are also very charming and can easily sweet talk their way into your life.
However, don’t be fooled by their charm as they only use it to get what they want from you. Once they get what they want, they will move on to the next victim. In fact, Machiavellism is considered as a form of Dark Triad personality.
Some of the signs to identify them;
- They are very charming,
- Are experts in manipulation,
- Are cold and calculating,
- Always have ulterior motives.
Passive-Aggressive Emotional Vampires
These types of emotional vampires are indirect and use passive-aggressive behavior to get what they want. They will often say one thing but mean another. This can make them very difficult to deal with since you never really know what they’re thinking or feeling.
Passive-aggressive emotional vampires are often afraid of conflict and will do anything to avoid it. However, this only leads to more problems down the road. Some of the signs to identify them;
- They use passive-aggressive behavior,
- Indirect in their communication,
- Afraid of conflict,
- Always have a hidden agenda.
Control Freaks Emotional Vampires
These types of emotional vampires need to control everything and everyone around them. They are very controlling and always need to be in charge. Control freaks are also very perfectionists and can be quite difficult to please.
Furthermore, when someone controls everything, it’s often because they have a fear of letting go. They are afraid that if they let go, things will fall apart. If you’re dealing with a control freak, it’s important to set boundaries early on. Otherwise, they will try to take over your life. Some of the signs to identify them;
- Very controlling in nature,
- Always need to be in charge,
- Assumes themselves as perfectionists,
- Have a hard time letting go.
Borderline Emotional Vampires
Borderline emotional vampires are unstable and tend to swing from one extreme emotion to another. They may be extremely happy one minute and then suddenly become angry or depressed the next. This can make them very difficult to deal with.
Borderline emotional vampires often have a hard time controlling their emotions. This can lead to them acting out in destructive ways. Some of the signs to identify them;
- Extreme swings in emotion,
- Difficult to control their emotions,
- Can act out in destructive ways.
Now that you know the different types of emotional vampires. It’s important to be aware of the signs so that you can avoid them. Emotional vampires can be very harmful to your mental and emotional health.
They can drain you of your energy and make you feel bad about yourself. If you think someone might be an emotional vampire, it’s best to stay away from them.
Signs That You’re Dealing With Emotional Vampire
When you understand the types of emotional vampires out there, it’s easier to spot them. Here are some signs that you’re dealing with one:
- You feel drained after spending time with this person.
- These people are always the center of attention and need to be the life of the party.
- Behaves like drama queens or kings and love to stir up trouble.
- This person is always negative and loves to complain.
- You can never win an argument with them.
- Play the victim card and make everything about them.
- Are always putting you down or making fun of you.
- Make you feel guilty for having different opinions.
- They are never happy for you when good things happen.
If any of this sounds familiar, then there are chances that you’re dealing with an emotional vampire. Don’t let them suck the life out of you! There are various ways to protect yourself.
More often, do not let them know your vulnerabilities. And take action if you feel like they are crossing the line. Such signs will help you deal with emotional vampires better. Remember, you don’t have to put up with their crap!
How To Protect Yourself?
When you are aware of the emotional vampires in your life. It becomes easier to protect yourself from their negative energy. Here are some tips:
- Set boundaries with emotional vampires. Let them know what behavior is acceptable and what is not. Otherwise, they will take advantage of your kindness.
- Don’t get drawn into their drama. Emotional vampires love to create chaos and then be the center of attention. Do your best to avoid getting caught up in their web of drama.
- Keep your distance. If you can, try to keep some physical distance between yourself and emotional vampires. This will help to protect your energy field from its negative influence.
- Focus on positive people and situations. Make an effort to spend more time around positive people who make you feel good about yourself. Also, focus on the good things in life, rather than dwelling on the negative aspects of your life or the world around you.
- Avoid being alone with emotional vampires whenever possible. This will help to minimize the amount of time you spend in their negative energy field.
- Practice self-care so that you can better deal with stressors in your life.
If you find yourself constantly surrounded by negative energy. It may be time to take a break from certain people or situations. You deserve to live a happy and peaceful life! These tips can help you to protect yourself from the emotional vampires in your life. And live a happier, more positive life.
To conclude, these types of people can be emotionally draining. And it is important to be aware of them. If you find yourself in a situation with an emotional vampire. Try to distance yourself and set boundaries. You do not have to let these people drain you emotionally.
Therefore, it is important to be aware of the people around you. And to know when to distance yourself. Emotional vampires can be harmful to your mental health. So, it is best to avoid them altogether. Thanks for reading! And protect yourself from these emotional vampires.
A Word From Therapy Mantra
Your mental health — Your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At TherapyMantra, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, workplace Issues, addiction, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.
Reference Blog– https://therapymantra.co/therapy-types/equine-therapy/