Selfishness is often viewed in a negative light, but did you know that there are different types of selfishness? In this blog post, we will explore the different types of selfishness and discuss which one you might be. We will also talk about the benefits and drawbacks of each type of selfishness. So, let’s get started!
What Does Selfishness Mean?
Selfishness is an excessive or pathological concern with oneself and one’s own advantages. It is usually considered a vice and is often seen as the opposite of altruism.
According to studies, it is one of the most common personality traits and can have both positive and negative effects. More often, people are associated with being selfish because they are unwilling to share their resources or put other people’s needs before their own.
But there are different types of selfishness, and not all of them are bad. In fact, some forms of selfishness can actually be beneficial. Let’s discuss distinct types of selfishness.
Types Of Selfishness
There are different types of selfishness. Some people are selfish because they want what’s best for themselves. Other people are selfish because they want to take advantage of others. They might do this by lying, cheating, or manipulation. Then there are those who are just plain self-centered. They only care about themselves and their own needs and wants.
To clear understanding, these types of selfishness are categorized into three categories. Such as;
Now, let’s take a look at each one of these categories in more detail.
Good Type Of Selfishness
People who are selfish because they want what’s best for themselves are actually being quite rational. They’re not trying to hurt anyone else, they’re just looking out for their own interests. This type of selfishness is actually quite healthy and can help you achieve your goals.
Benefits Of Being Good
- More likely to stick to your goals
- Will be aware of your own capabilities
- Can be more decisive
- Never let people to take advantage of you
- You can take care of your needs and yourself too.
However, being good is always comes with some consequences. People might think you are arrogant or rude. You should watch out for that and try to be more humble.
Consequences Of Possessing Good Type Of Selfishness
- People might think you are arrogant or rude
- Might have assumptions that you don’t care about others
- You can be perceived as being self-centered
Neutral Type Of Selfishness
In this, the most common and least harmful type of selfishness. People do what they want and need to do without much thought for others. They are not deliberately trying to be hurtful; they’re just not particularly considerate.
People who are this way may have difficulty empathizing with others and may not realize how their actions affect those around them. It can be a type of selfishness that’s easy to fall into because it’s not malicious.
Benefits of Being Neutral
It includes various benefits. Some of them are;
- Being able to put yourself first sometimes, can be healthy.
- It also allows you to do things for yourself without feeling guilty.
- In some cases, it may even make you a more reliable friend or family member.
- Also, being neutral selfish not constantly stretched you thin by trying to please everyone all the time.
- In fact, it can make you happier and more content overall.
Consequences Of Being Neutral Type Of Selfishness
However, being neutral selfish also has its own disadvantages.
- You may come across as thoughtless or uncaring to others.
- People may take advantage of your generosity or good nature.
- You may also have difficulty asking for help when you need it because you’re used to doing things on your own.
- You may have trouble developing close relationships.
- Might also miss out on opportunities to help others or make them happy.
Even, being neutral selfish has its own perks and downfalls. It’s all a matter of perspective and what you’re willing to sacrifice.
In addition, neutral is something that is good in moderation but can be bad if taken to the extreme. Selfishness is not always a bad thing. It really just depends on the type of selfishness and how you use it. Too much of anything is never good.
Bad Type Of Selfishness
It is the most commonly used term when we think about selfish people. Also the most accurate description of selfishness. An act or attitude characterized by concern for one’s own welfare or interests without regard to others.
People who are bad type of selfish only care about themselves and their own needs. They do not care about other people and their feelings. They often take advantage of others and use them for their own benefit. In fact, this type of selfishness is often considered a form of narcissism.
Benefits Of Being Bad Selfish
However, being bad selfish has its own benefits. Although these benefits are very short term and may not be worth the negative consequences, they can still be helpful in some situations.
For example, if you are in a situation where you need to get something done quickly, being selfish can help you focus on your own task and get it done faster.
- Can help you protect yourself from getting hurt emotionally.
- If you do not care about other people, then you will not be as affected by their actions or words.
- This can be helpful when dealing with difficult people or situations.
- People who are bad selfish are often more successful than others.
- They are able to get what they want because they do not care about other people’s feelings.
- In addition, they are also less likely to be taken advantage of by others.
Consequences Of Being Bad Selfish
Although being bad selfish has its benefits, it also has many negative consequences.
- Difficulty maintaining close relationships with others.
- They often end up hurting the people around them.
- Bad selfishness can also lead to isolation and loneliness.
- Tend to push others away.
- They may also find it difficult to trust other people.
Overall, being bad selfish is not a good thing. It can lead to many problems in your life and damage your relationships with others.
If you find yourself being the bad type of selfish, then it is important to try to change your ways. You need to start caring about other people and their feelings. Otherwise, it will only lead to problems in your life.
Common Characteristics Of Selfishness
Mostly, selfishness is associated with a negative connotation. However, selfishness at its core is motivated by the need to look out for oneself.
The various common characteristics of selfishness are as follows:
- An excessive need for attention – It is not uncommon for selfish individuals to crave attention and validation from others. This need is often so excessive that it leads to them behaving in ways that are considered disruptive or even manipulative.
- Sense of entitlement – A lot of the time, selfish people tend to feel like they deserve special treatment. They believe that they are more deserving than others and as a result, will often act entitled and narcissistic.
- Lack of empathy – One of the most defining characteristics of selfishness is the inability or unwillingness to empathize with others. Selfish individuals often lack compassion and are unable or unwilling to see things from another person’s perspective.
- Need for control – Another common trait of selfishness is the need for control. Selfish people often want to be in charge and have a need to control everything and everyone around them.
- Excessive Self Centered – At the core of selfishness is a deep sense of self-centeredness. Selfish individuals often only care about themselves and their own needs and wants. They can be insensitive to the needs of others and may only think about themselves most of the time.
By identifying these various characteristics, it is easier to become aware of when we ourselves are acting selfishly. It is important to remember that a little bit of selfishness is not necessarily a bad thing.
How To Deal With Selfishness?
It is important to understand that selfishness is not always a bad thing. But, yes if you find it difficult to cope up with then it is better to find ways to deal with it. Here are some tips on how you can deal with selfishness:
- The first step is to accept that you are selfish. This will help you in dealing with your selfishness in a better way.
- Try to be more aware of the people around you and their needs. This will help you in being more considerate towards them. And, also try to put yourself in their shoes to understand how they feel.
- Make an effort to be more giving and compassionate. Try to do things for others without expecting anything in return. This will help you in dealing with your selfishness in a better way.
- Talk to someone who can help you understand your selfishness better and also provide you with some tips on how to deal with it.
- You can also try out different ways of being less selfish like meditating or doing yoga which will help you in relaxing and focusing on yourself less.
So, these were some tips on how you can deal with selfishness. Also, keep in mind if you find it difficult to change then it is better to seek professional help. And, if you feel that your selfishness is impacting your life in a negative way then it is time for you to make some changes.
Professional help can make you realize that being selfish is not always a bad thing. And it is okay to be selfish sometimes. The important is to pay attention to its effects and take necessary measures to deal with it.
Conclusively, selfishness is something that we all exhibit in one form or another. And, it’s not always a bad thing. In fact, a little bit of selfishness can be healthy. The key is to be aware of the different types of selfishness and to make sure that we’re exhibiting the right kind.
Therefore, the next time you’re feeling selfish, ask yourself which type it is. And, if it’s the healthy kind, then go ahead and enjoy it! Everyone deserves to be little selfish for their own sake. Also, there is nothing wrong thinking in that way.
A Word From Therapy Mantra
Your mental health — Your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At TherapyMantra, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, workplace Issues, addiction, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.