Depression is a serious mental illness that can take a toll on your life. If you are struggling with depression, you may feel like there is no hope. But we have good news for you: sertraline may be able to help! Sertraline is a drug that is used to treat depression and other mood disorders. It belongs to a class of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). SSRIs work by increasing the amount of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that plays an important role in mood regulation.
Why Sertraline Is Prescribed?
Sertraline is a wonder drug for depression because it is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). SSRIs are the most commonly prescribed medications for depression. They work by preventing serotonin from being reabsorbed back into the brain, which increases its availability and helps to improve mood.
Sertraline is also effective in treating other conditions, such as anxiety, panic disorder, and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD). It can also be used to treat the premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) and postpartum depression.
Sertraline is generally well-tolerated, with the most common side effects. Also, it does not have any serious interactions with other medications.
There are certain ways that sertraline is used. The first way is that it can be used to help with the treatment of the major depressive disorder. This is also known as MDD. It can be used to help with other conditions such as:
Major Depressive Disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Panic disorder
- Social anxiety disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
The second way that sertraline is used is that it can be used to help with the treatment of anxiety disorders. This includes generalized anxiety disorder, which is also known as GAD. This also includes:
- Specific phobia
- Social anxiety disorder
- Panic disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
Treating Eating Disorders
The third way that sertraline is used is to help with the treatment of eating disorders. This includes bulimia nervosa and anorexia nervosa. It is also used to help people who are overweight or obese.
Treating Other Disorders
The fourth way that sertraline is used is to help with the treatment of other disorders. This includes:
- Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Bipolar disorder II
- Tourette’s syndrome
- Chronic pain syndromes
Sertraline can be a wonder drug for depression, anxiety, eating disorders, and other conditions. It is important to consult with a doctor before taking this medication. In order to make sure it is the best option for you.
It is important to take the correct dosage of sertraline in order to see results. However, the right prescription and dosage information can be hard to find. Because the doctor will provide it on a clear note. The following dosage information will help you get started on the right track:
- For adults, the starting dose is 50 mg per day. This may be increased to 100 mg per day, depending on your response.
- For children and adolescents (ages six to 17), the initial dose is 25 mg per day, which may be increased up to 50 mg per day, depending on the child’s response.
- Sertraline can be taken with or without food. It should be swallowed whole and not chewed or crushed. Try to take it at the same time each day.
- Do not miss a dose, if you have forgotten then, take it as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at once.
The best way to take the medicine at the same time each day is to maintain an even level of drug in your blood. You can cut or crush the tablet but don’t chew it because this could make it more difficult for your body to absorb the medicine.
Forms Of Sertraline Medication
It is well known that there are many forms of sertraline medication available.
- The most common form is the tablet, which comes in 25 mg, 50 mg, and 100 mg strengths.
- A liquid form of sertraline that can be taken orally. Or through a tube directly into the stomach (g-tube).
- A extended-release (XR) tablet, which is taken once daily and comes in 50 mg and 100 mg strengths.
Sertraline should be taken at the same time each day for best results. The doctor will prescribe the correct dosage depending on the patient’s individual needs. Patients should follow their doctor’s instructions when taking any form of medication. Missing a dose or taking the wrong dose can be harmful.
How Does The Sertraline Help In Recovery?
The medication is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), which is a type of antidepressant. It helps to increase the amount of serotonin in your brain. This can improve mood, energy, and motivation levels.
This may also help to decrease some of the symptoms associated with depression. Such as anxiety, insomnia, and suicidal thoughts or behaviors. In addition, it can be helpful for other conditions that may occur along with depression. Such as chronic pain or diabetes.
It helps the body to break down the medication. This increases its effectiveness and helps to prevent any potential side effects. Either tablet or liquid form. It usually starts working within a few weeks of starting treatment. However, your doctor may need to adjust the dose depending on how well you respond to it.
Benefits Of Sertraline
- Less depression and more positive.
- Allows you to be more productive.
- Sleep better and have improved concentration.
- Start to enjoy activities that you once found uninteresting.
- Have more energy and feel better about yourself.
Things To Avoid While Taking Sertraline
While taking sertraline, it is important to avoid certain things. And, there is a need to follow rules and set measures. Such as:
- Do not drink alcohol. It can make the side effects of sertraline worse.
- Avoid taking illegal drugs. It can lead to dangerous consequences.
- Be careful when driving or operating machinery as sertraline may cause drowsiness and dizziness.
- Do not take any other medication without consulting your doctor first, as there may be harmful interactions.
- If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning to become pregnant. Speak to your doctor before taking sertraline as it may not be suitable for you.
Sertraline is generally a well-tolerated drug. But like all medications, there are certain things you should be aware of while taking them. Following these simple guidelines will help you avoid any problems.
Side Effects Of Sertraline
If a medication has the potential to help people feel better. Then, there are definitely some possible side effects of it. While many people who take sertraline experience few or no side effects at all, there are some potential problems that can occur.
The most common side effects of sertraline include:
- Sexual dysfunction
Some people may also experience more serious side effects. Such as suicidal thoughts, hallucinations, and chest pain. It’s important to talk to your doctor if you experience any of these symptoms while taking sertraline. He or she may be able to adjust your dosage or suggest a different medication.
Most people have handled the sertraline well.. But as with any medication, there is always the potential for side effects. Be sure to talk to your doctor if you have any concerns about taking sertraline. And make sure you’re aware of all the possible side effects before starting treatment.
Alternative Treatment Options
There are some medication alternatives to sertraline. You can try some of the other medication options, natural supplements, or therapy options.
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors
- Atypical antipsychotics.
If you have not found relief from your symptoms with sertraline, You can try these alternative. But, with doctor’s prescription. These can be effective in treating depression.
Herbal Supplements: Some people find relief from their depression symptoms by taking herbal supplements. There are very popular herbs that are very effective. In treating mild to moderate depression. It can interact negatively with other medications.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: The CBT helps you in change the negative thought patterns. That contribute to your depression. It can be an effective treatment on its own.
Sertraline may not be the right choice for everyone suffering from depression. If you have tried it and it hasn’t worked for you. Don’t give up hope – there are other options available that may provide relief from your symptoms.
More often, people who give sertraline a chance find that it’s the wonder drug. With its low risk of side effects and high success rate. Sertraline is definitely worth trying if you’re struggling with depression.
If you think sertraline may be right for you, talk to your doctor about starting a trial period on the medication. Chances are good that you’ll be feeling better in no time. Thanks for reading!
A Word From Therapy Mantra
Your mental health — Your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At TherapyMantra, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, workplace Issues, addiction, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.