Do you or a loved one suffer from bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or autism? If so, you must learn more about aripiprazole (Abilify). It is a drug that has been shown to be effective in treating these conditions. In this blog post, we will discuss the uses of aripiprazole, and the side effects that may occur while taking it. We will also provide information on how to obtain a prescription for this medication.
- 1 How To Use Aripiprazole (Abilify)?
- 2 Dosage Information
- 3 Combination Of Aripiprazole With Other Medication
- 4 How Does Aripiprazole Help In Recovery?
- 5 When To Take Aripiprazole (Abilify)?
- 6 Things To Avoid While Taking Aripiprazole
- 7 What Are The Side Effects Of Aripiprazole (Abilify)?
- 8 Alternative Treatment
- 9 Conclusion
- 10 A Word From Therapy Mantra
How To Use Aripiprazole (Abilify)?
Aripiprazole is an effective medicine. It is also known as Abilify and atypical antipsychotic agent. This drug is used to treat various mental disorders. Mainly it works by blocking certain receptors in the brain. It works to treat, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder. Also, irritability which is associated with autism.
It may take a few weeks before the full effects of aripiprazole are seen. If you stop taking it suddenly then it may cause unpleasant symptoms. Therefore, it is important to asks your doctor that how to stop taking the medication safely.
Another important thing is to make sure you drink plenty of fluids. And get enough rest when taking this. Because this drug is known to cause drowsiness. Do not drink alcohol as it can make the drowsiness worse.
Aripiprazole (Abilify), is a drug prescribed to treat a variety of mental conditions. That includes, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia. And Tourette’s syndrome. The typical dosage range for aripiprazole is between 15 and 30 mg per day. It is depending on the condition being treated.
There are instructions to take dosage. Such as:
- For adults with schizophrenia is 15 mg once daily.
- Adults with bipolar disorder are prescribed to take 15 mg once daily.
- Between the ages of 13 to 17 children with schizophrenia is 15 mg once daily.
- For children (ages 13 to 17) with Tourette’s syndrome is 20 mg per day.
- Aripiprazole may be taken with or without food.
- It should be swallowed whole and not chewed or crushed.
Also, before starting this dosage. Make sure to take all the information related to it. Speak to your prescribing healthcare professional. They will be able to give you more information about aripiprazole. And how it may affect you.
Aripiprazole may interact with other drugs. Therefore, it is important to tell your doctor about all medications you are taking. Including over-the-counter drugs and herbal supplements. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking aripiprazole.
Combination Of Aripiprazole With Other Medication
Some of these combinations are:
- Clozapine (Clozaril) for the treatment of schizophrenia in adults.
- Olanzapine (Zyprexa) and fluoxetine (Prozac) for bipolar disorder type II in adults.
- Lithium (Lithobid) for acute mania in bipolar disorder type I or II adult patients.
- Risperidone (Risperdal), quetiapine fumarate. And ziprasidone hydrochloride capsules (Geodon) for treating agitation.
- The combination with antidepressant medication is used to treat moderate to severe depression.
- To treat anxiety disorders, benzodiazepines is used. This combination may help reduce the number of benzodiazepines that someone needs to take.
It is very important that you always consult with your doctor. He or she will be able to guide you in the right direction. However, these combinations may be helpful in managing the different conditions.
How Does Aripiprazole Help In Recovery?
In numerous ways, this medication helps in treatment. The most significantly it helps to restore the chemical balance in the brain. It also lessens cravings. And reduces symptoms of withdrawal. Making it easier to abstain from drugs or alcohol.
It can help people who have trouble sleeping. And those who experience anxiety or depression. All of these benefits make aripiprazole an important tool in early recovery.
The medication is considerably the most effective. Especially when combined with other forms of treatment. Such as therapy and support groups. If you are struggling with addiction. Talk to your doctor about whether this medication might be right for you. Aripiprazole can help you on your recovery journey.
Aripiprazole (Abilify) is an atypical antipsychotic drug. It helps people to recover from addiction. A great medication to treat people with mental illness.
When To Take Aripiprazole (Abilify)?
There are appropriate times when to take aripiprazole (Abilify), or not.
Aripiprazole is prescribed for:
- As an add-on to other medications for bipolar disorder.
- Used as a treatment for major depressive disorder or schizophrenia.
- Helps with irritability in people with autistic disorder.
Aripiprazole is not recommended, if:
- If you’re allergic to aripiprazole or any of its ingredients.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Taking other antipsychotic medications.
- Have had a heart attack or have low blood pressure.
- You have uncontrolled seizures.
If Aripiprazole used by pregnant women. It may increase the risk of side effects. Especially, in newborns such as withdrawal symptoms, feeding. Also in breathing difficulties, muscle stiffness.
Talk with your doctor about all the medications you’re taking. Including herbal supplements, before starting aripiprazole. Stopping abruptly can cause serious problems.
Things To Avoid While Taking Aripiprazole
There are various things that you should avoid. Such as:
Medications To Avoid
- Opioids: This often prescribed for pain relief. They may cause dangerous interactions if taken with aripiprazole.
- Street drugs: Aripiprazole can interact negatively with many street drugs. Including marijuana and cocaine. Doing so could increase your risk of experiencing serious side effects.
Other Things To Avoid
- Grapefruit and grapefruit juice: This citrus fruit can increase the levels in your blood.
- Alcohol: It is strictly prohibited during the treatment. Because, it can increase the risk of side effects. Such as drowsiness and impaired judgment.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Aripiprazole should be used with caution in pregnant women. It may also pass into breast milk.
It is also important to avoid becoming overheated while taking aripiprazole. Try to stay cool and drink plenty of fluids on hot days. Most importantly, do not forget to tell your doctor about other medications if you’re taking. Such as antifungals, antibiotics, and HIV/AIDS drugs.
Aripiprazole (Abilify) can be very effective if taken in the right manner. However, it’s also important to be aware of things to avoid. By doing so, you can help minimize the risk of experiencing any serious side effects.
What Are The Side Effects Of Aripiprazole (Abilify)?
There are a number of potential side effects. Some of them are:
Short Term Side Effects
Some of these side effects may go away after a short period of time. However, if they persist or become bothersome.
Long Term Side Effects
- Blurred vision.
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.
- Fast heartbeat.
- Severe muscle stiffness or movement problems.
If you’re facing some of these serious side effects of the drug, inform your doctor immediately.
There are many different types of treatment for mental illness, it is important to find the right one for you. If you are considering aripiprazole (Abilify). Talk to your doctor about all of your options.
There are many alternatives drug that can be effective including some non-medication treatments can be helpful. Some people find a combination of medication and therapy best for them.
Different Medication Includes
- Antidepressants – Helpful in improving mood and treating depression.
- Mood Stabilizers – These can help to even out mood swings.
- Anti-Anxiety Medications – It reduces anxiety and improves sleep.
- Therapy – It provides a safe and supportive place to talk about your feelings.
- Support Groups – These can be helpful for meeting people with shared experiences.
Self Help Strategies
- Stick to a Healthy Lifestyle – It might sound simple. But, eating right and exercising can help to improve your mood.
- Get Enough Sleep – A good night’s sleep can make a big difference in how you feel.
- Avoid Alcohol and Drugs – Substance abuse can make mental illness worse.
You should also keep in mind that it takes time to find the right treatment. Be sure to talk to your doctor about any concerns you have. They can help you figure out what to do next.
Many people have shown the better results with combination treatment. Medication might work great on its own. Or therapy with medication can also be a successful treatment plan.
Aripiprazole (Abilify) is a drug medication. It is helpful in treating conditions. Such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and autism spectrum disorder. While it does have some side effects, which are generally mild.
Additionally, it has few drug interactions, so it is safe to take with other medications. Aripiprazole is a helpful medication for people with certain mental disorders. However, it is important to talk to a doctor before starting this medication. They can help you determine if it is the right medication or not.
A Word From Therapy Mantra
Your mental health — Your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At TherapyMantra, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, workplace Issues, addiction, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.