We all have an inner child. This is the part of us that is carefree and innocent, and it represents our true selves. Understanding your inner child can help determine your personal goals and desires. In this guide, we will discuss the different aspects of your inner child, as well as how to connect with him or her. We will also provide tips for nurturing your inner child so that you can live a happier and more fulfilling life!
Who Is Your Inner Child?
The inner child is the core of who you are and is responsible for your feelings, thoughts, and behaviors. Many schools of thought emphasize the importance of acknowledging these childlike characteristics. Research has also suggested that a deeper understanding of one’s past self is a key to enjoying essential life changes. Some researchers also say that contrary to the name, your inner child is not just an expression of your childhood. Rather, it encompasses the lived experiences of all the life stages. Renowned psychiatrist Carl Jung linked past experiences to the feelings of play, innocence, and creativity, which can foster feelings of happiness and love
What Is The Importance?
Childhood forms the basis of how we form our perceptions as adults. Accessing your inner self becomes crucial in fixing your issues in the present. Being in touch with your past helps you recognize your unmet needs and compensate for them. Any type of repressed or bottled emotions finds a release, providing emotional balance. It can also help enhance the feelings of self-love and care, as you can now recognize what makes you feel happy and safe. This also provides an opportunity to unlearn old thinking patterns and further adapt to new emotions and beliefs as per new situations.
How To Identify Your Inner Child?
Your inner child is the part of you that is innocent and carefree. He or she may be hiding behind your current persona, but he or she is always there. To identify your inner child, think about when you were a kid. What did you like to do? What were your favorite activities? What made you happy? These are all clues to help you find your inner child. Here are some things to do while unraveling your inner self.
- Revisit childhood memories. This can include looking at old belongings, going back to places, maintaining relationships with people from the past, keeping memories fresh. This helps you recognize what makes you happy and be in touch with emotions.
- Address past trauma and identify triggers. If you witnessed something hurtful and traumatic as a child, it can have unsaid effects on you as an adult, further hampering your emotional growth. It becomes important to work on these triggers for overall socio-emotional betterment.
- Practicing mindfulness through meditation, journaling, positive self-talk, etc. can help in accommodating space for positive change.
- Try treating yourself the way you would want others to treat you. This can help in establishing boundaries, knowing yourself better, improving relationships with others, and monitoring your emotional growth.
Tips To Nurture Your Inner Child
One of the most important things to help your younger self grow is to provide a safe and supportive environment for them to express themselves. This may mean creating a special space for yourself where you can relax and be yourself, without judgment.
- Don’t beat yourself for not knowing better. Your past self did what it did based on what knowledge they had at that particular time. Honor your mistakes and try to learn from them instead of belittling yourself.
- You don’t have to ‘fix’ anything. Remember, you’re not broken.
- Validate your emotions. This can mean celebrating yourself when you achieve something or taking a break to cry it out when you feel overwhelmed. Self expression is an important tool to have emotional balance.
- Provide yourself unconditional positive regard. Affirm yourself and build a strong support within your own mind.
- Remember to have fun. Find activities that bring you joy and allow your inner child to come out and play.
Connecting with and nurturing your inner child is essential for a happy and fulfilling life. By taking the time to understand who he or she is, you can learn more about yourself and what you want out of life. Understanding your inner child can help determine your personal goals and desires. So go ahead and explore! The world is your playground!
A Word From Therapy Mantra
Your mental health — Your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At TherapyMantra, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, workplace Issues, addiction, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.