If you are taking Tegretol for bipolar disorder, epilepsy or trigeminal neuralgia. It is important to take the correct dosage and follow the prescribing doctor’s instructions carefully. This drug comes with a number of potential side effects and precautions that you should be aware of before starting treatment. In this article, we will discuss the right dosage of Tegretol, as well as its uses, side effects and precautions.
What Is Tegretol?
Tegretol is the brand name of carbamazepine. A prescription drug used to treat seizures and nerve pain. The medicine is also used to treat bipolar disorder. Tegretol belongs to a class of drugs called anticonvulsants. It works by decreasing abnormal electrical activity in the brain.
Carbamazepine was first approved by the FDA in 1963. Tegretol is available as a generic drug. Generic drugs usually cost less than brand-name versions. In some cases, they may not be available in every strength or form as the brand-name version.
Carbamazepine may be used as part of a combination therapy. That means you need to take it with other drugs to treat your condition.
Why Tegretol Is Used?
There are several purposes for why your doctor would prescribe Tegretol.
- The primary use is to treat seizures in adults and children ages two and older.
- Includes partial seizures, tonic-clonic seizures, and mixed seizure disorders.
- Used to prevent migraine headaches and trigeminal neuralgia.
Tegretol works by decreasing the number of electrical impulses that are sent out by the nerve cells in the brain. This action helps to stabilize the nerve cells. And prevent them from firing excessively. By doing so, it helps to control the seizures. In some cases, it may even stop them altogether.
In addition, tegretol or carbamazepine is also used as a mood stabilizer in people with bipolar disorder.
Tegretol is available in a generic form. Carbamazepine was originally approved by the FDA in 1963. And, the FDA has currently approved nine different generic versions of carbamazepine for use.
How to Take Tegretol?
Tegretol should be taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. The usual starting dose for seizures is 100 mg two times daily. Your doctor will gradually increase your dose until your seizures are controlled or until you experience side effects.
There are some information about the dosage which a person must be aware about. Such as the fact that, if a person misses a dose of Tegretol, they should take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to their regular dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at once.
The medicine comes in:
- Extended-release tablet
- Suspension (liquid)
- Chewable tablet
If you are taking the suspension, shake the bottle well before each dose. Use a spoon or measuring cup to measure the correct amount of liquid. Do not take more Tegretol than prescribed even if your seizures are not controlled.
Tegretol is usually taken two or four times a day with or without food. The extended-release tablet is taken once daily at bedtime with food. To help prevent side effects, your doctor may start you at a low dose. And increase your dose gradually.
Risks In Sudden Withdrawal Of Tegretol
There are certain risks in sudden withdrawal of the medicine. For example, if you are taking tegretol for epilepsy and you suddenly stop taking it. It can cause a seizure.
One must not withdraw taking medicine suddenly. Or without consulting with your doctor. Even so, there are risks if someone misses dose, as well. However, in case you miss your dose. Then, take it as soon as possible. Also, if it is almost time for your next dosage, then skip the missed one.
Tegretol can interact with other medicines that you might be taking. So, it is always good to tell your doctor about all the medications that you are currently taking. This will help them determine if tegretol is right for you or not.
Things To Discuss With Your Doctor Before Considering Tegretol
Before starting the dose, it is important to discuss with your doctor certain things. This will ensure that the medication is working for you in the right way. And, eventually this will help to avoid any complications. Some of the things that you need to discuss are:
- Your medical history including any mental health disorders. Or any physical illness, such as; liver or kidney disease, heart disease, diabetes.
- Any other medications that you are currently taking including vitamins, supplements, and herbal products.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Your alcohol consumption habits.
- Your family’s medical history as some disorders are hereditary.
- Be sure to tell your doctor about any allergies that you may have.
- Discuss the potential side effects of Tegretol with your doctor.
The discussion over such things is important. As it will help to create a safer and more effective treatment plan for you. It is also essential to follow your doctor’s instructions carefully to avoid any complications.
Tegretol is generally a safe medication when taken as prescribed. However, like all medications, there are certain precautions that need to be taken.
Precautions And Warnings Before Taking Tegretol
There are certain precautions and warnings to be aware of. These include:
- The drug may lower the seizure threshold. So it should be used with caution in patients with a history of seizures.
- It may also cause drowsiness or dizziness. So caution should be exercised when operating machinery or driving.
- Tegretol may interact with other medications. Tell your doctor about all the medications you are taking, including over-the-counter drugs and supplements.
- Tegretol should not be used during pregnancy. Unless the benefits outweigh the risks. If you become pregnant while taking Tegretol, you should contact your doctor immediately.
- Patients with liver disease should use Tegretol with caution as it may worsen the condition.
- Do not stop taking Tegretol suddenly as this may cause withdrawal symptoms. The dose should be tapered off gradually under medical supervision.
These precautions and warning will help you to recover best. However, please make sure to consult with doctor before taking Tegretol. This medication is a prescription drug and its dosage, uses, side effects and precautions must be discussed with a doctor. Before starting the medication.
What Should Be Avoided While Taking Tegretol?
When you’re on medication treatment for trigeminal neuralgia. It’s important that you follow your doctor’s orders and take the medication as prescribed. There are certain activities or substances, however, that should be avoided.
Alcohol should be avoided while taking Tegretol. As it can increase the side effects of the medication. If you must drink alcohol, do so in moderation. And make sure to ask your doctor how much is safe for you to consume.
Grapefruit juice is also a substance that should be avoided. This is because grapefruit juice can interact with the metabolism of the drug. And potentially increase the levels of tegretol in your blood.
You should also avoid taking any other medications without first consulting with your doctor. As there are many drug interactions that can occur with Tegretol. Make sure to keep your doctor updated on any other medications you’re taking. Along with any changes in the dosage.
What Are The Possible Side Effects Of Tegretol?
Common side effects
Less common side effects
- Mood changes
- Weight gain or loss
Serious side effects
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Memory problems
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
- Dark urine
- Persistent sore throat or fatigue
- Trouble breathing
Tegretol can also cause a decrease in white blood cells. Which can lead to serious infections. If you experience any of these side effects, contact your doctor immediately. Tegretol is an effective medication for many people with epilepsy. But it is not without its risks.
Be sure to talk to your doctor about the potential side effects. And how to manage them. With the right precautions.
Alternatives To Tegretol
There are various alternatives to Tegretol that your doctor may prescribe. However, it is depending on the individual case. These include other medications, therapies, and lifestyle changes.
- Depakote (divalproex sodium)
- Lamictal (lamotrigine)
Each of these medications come with their own set of risks and benefits. Be sure to speak with your doctor about which option is best for you. However, the tegretol medication is still the most common and effective treatment for seizures and trigeminal neuralgia.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy: It is also known as CBT. This type of therapy can help you deal with the stress and anxiety that may be associated with your condition.
- Biofeedback: This is a type of therapy that uses sensors to monitor your body’s response to stressors. The goal is to learn how to control your body’s response to pain.
- Electroconvulsive therapy: This is a last resort treatment that is used for severe cases that have not responded to other treatments.
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation: This is a newer type of therapy that uses magnetic fields to stimulate the brain. It is still being studied for its effectiveness in treating trigeminal neuralgia.
- Exercise: Exercise can help reduce stress and improve your overall well-being.
- Yoga: Yoga can help you relax and focus on your breathing. This can help you deal with the pain of trigeminal neuralgia.
- Meditation: It is generally a part of yoga. But, it can be done on its own as well. Meditation can help you focus and relax your mind and body simultaneously.
- Massage: Massage can help relax the muscles and reduce stress. It can also help improve blood circulation.
- Stress management: Learning how to manage your stress can help you feel better overall. It can also help reduce the pain of trigeminal neuralgia.
- Diet: Eating a healthy diet can help you feel better and have more energy. To fight with any disease, we need a strong immune system. And that comes from a healthy diet.
Tegretol is just one option for treating seizures and other conditions. Other than this, there are numerous alternatives. Because, everyone has a different body and needs different treatment.
So, it is essential to speak with your doctor about what treatment is best for you. Be sure to speak with your doctor about all of the potential risks and benefits before starting any new medication or therapy.
To conclude, tegretol is an effective medication for seizures and nerve pain. To get the treatment better, it is important to follow the right dosage. And, be aware about the complete information. In order to prevent any serious complications.
However, talking to a professional is primary thing. They will help to determine if this drug is the best option for you. Do not forget to take care of yourself. Because, treating a mental illness can go a long way. Although, self care is the foremost thing. It boosts your confidence and hope. And, helps you to get better faster.
A Word From Therapy Mantra
Your mental health — Your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At TherapyMantra, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, workplace Issues, addiction, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.
Reference Blog– https://therapymantra.co/therapy-types/equine-therapy/